Monday, July 26, 2004

 

The Protocols of the Elders of San Francisco?

Andrew Sullivan writes about the FMA, and some of the shittier things said by the Christian right about us icky gays.

One of the notable things is Wayne Allard's statement that us gays want to get married because there is a "master plan" to destroy the institution. It's not the first time I've heard this thesis; James Dobson, head of Focus on the Family, put it forth on Scarborough County one night. But actually, it goes back further than that.

I refer, of course, to The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. For those of you who don't know, the Protocols were a series of anti-Semitic forgeries published by the czar's secret police in early 20th century Russia. The Protocols were "secret documents" allegedly used by world Jewry to ensure the eventual downfall and destruction of Christianity.

Sound familiar? The Christian right can't even find fresh ways to demonize us. They have to refer to a debunked anti-Semitic fake that inspired Adolf Hitler. For the record, when I do get married, I will not do it to "destroy" the institution, no matter how much the screaming howler monkeys on the Christian right say I will. I will do it to solidify the relationship between me and my husband in the eyes of God and the state. I will do it to ensure that my husband and I have all the privileges that straight married couples have, such as hospital visitation rights, tax and Social Security benefits, and inheritance rights.

That is what gay marriage is all about. And don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?