Saturday, August 07, 2004

 

Back to Work, or the Lack Thereof

I'm back from the Cognito Family Reunion 2004.

So, the Friday before we depart for beautiful North Carolina, we find that my infected little toe has developed a strange pustule. We immediately panic, because we fear that it might be another case of cellulitis, which succeeded in keeping me out of school and in the hospital for three days a few years back. We rush to the ER and brace for the worst. However, this time, it's not as bad; all I had to do was take some pills, cleanse it twice a day, and avoid any body of water that might carry microorganisms. This includes pools, hot tubs, lakes, and pretty much any body of water that wasn't contained in a house (and even then, it was iffy).

Medical crisis averted, we fly down and endure a 5-1/4 hour butt-numbing drive from Nashville, TN, to Lake Lure, NC (on a related note, death to Southwest Airlines). We finally arrive at our house at about 8:00 PM, and I opt out of visiting the relatives to gently collapse in a coma.

Anyway, the house... it was nice, with wide windows, a view of the mountains, and a TV in every bedroom. This kinda made up for the fact that the house was a little interesting, and by "interesting", I mean, "lacking in anything secular". Seriously; there were framed versions of the Prayer of Jabez and the Serenity Prayer, there was a VHS version of a movie titled, aptly, Jesus, and every one of the aforementioned TVs was tuned to FOX News. Mind you, I didn't end up picking up on these subtle nuances until I went exploring the bookshelf and found that every book (and you'd think I'd be exaggerating) had titles like The Rapture and There is No Loophole to God's Law.

We visit the relatives at what is determined to be the finest of the houses for dinner every night. I am bombarded with questions about college choices that I don't really mind answering, and play Texas Hold 'Em with the twentysomething Cognitos downstairs. I really enjoy it, actually, and feel good about seeing everyone again.

Well, the reunion is over, and I am reunited with the Internet. The only thing that kind of kills the joy is that I have a fuck of a lot to catch up on. Damnit.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?