Saturday, September 11, 2004

 

How We Remember That Day in September

So, we've approached the third anniversary of September 11th. We all remember where we were that day, when we heard the news. So, this is my stupid 9/11 story:

As a sign that the universe does indeed work in mysterious ways, I woke up that day at 3 in the morning. Unable to go back to bed, I decided to finish Insomnia by Stephen King, which I'd checked out the day before. For the unfamiliar, one of the main plots of the book is that the Crimson King (the baddie from King's Dark Tower series) is manipulating an anti-abortion group in Derry to violence in order to greatly fuck up the multiverse. In the climax of the book, the hero has to stop the leader of the group from crashing a small airplane full of explosives into the Derry Civic Center while a renowned women's rights speaker is giving a speech. Coincidence? I think so!

So, anyway, once I'm done, I go on with my usual schedule. When I'm in 3rd block Latin, the announcement comes on over the speaker: however, it's so jumbled that I think that an airplane has crashed into the Boston World Trade Center, which is pretty much a yard sale with a tin roof. Not fully grasping the gravity of the situation, I turn to my friend and wisecrack, "I bet you five hundred dollars that the guy behind this had the initials 'OBL'." Once again, mysterious ways.

Then they wheeled in a TV during my next class, and I finally understood what was going on. Nothing, however, shocked me more than my 6th period class, where we saw direct footage of the 2nd plane crashing into the Towers. I started thinking, "This is a dream. I went back to bed after reading Insomnia, and this is an incredibly vivid bad dream." And yet, it wasn't. Once school got out, I called my mom, asking her to pick me up immediately. She did, I went home, affixed myself to CNN, and had a good cry for the rest of the day.

So today, we remember the victims of 9/11. May they have found rest.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?