Friday, November 19, 2004

 

Jamaica Me Crazy

Jamaica denies that there's any mistreatment of gays among its population, which is somewhat like denying that water is wet.

"We also as the duly elected representatives of the people feel that it is the people who must set our agenda in respect of the legislation which we pass or the repeal of any existing laws. We are certainly not about to respond to any organization, external to this country, which may want to dictate to us how and when to deal with the laws of our land," Senator Whiteman said.

Emphasis mine. Oh, you want "the laws of your land", Senator Whiteman? Here are the laws of your land: Last year, a man called his son all sorts of homophobic names in front of his friends, inciting them to rip planks of wood from benches and beat him with them. The father was seen walking away from this development smiling. Do you know what the law of your land did in response, Whiteman?

They pressed no charges, calling it "a family issue". Hell, if that boy is still alive, I'd be surprised.

In 25 years, they've gone from Marley to artists who sing about throwing acid at gays. I'm sure they're soooooooo proud.

Comments:
I was with you until this:

In 25 years, they've gone from Marley to artists who sing about throwing acid at gays. I'm sure they're soooooooo proud.Oh, I love it when white people act like the only thing worth mentioning about Jamaica is reggae music, and not the various styles of reggae music, but only Bob Marley. Because their representation begins and ends with "One Love". Oh, and marijuana. Can't forget the marijuana.

You know, that particular paragraph doesn't even make sense, because Jamaica's culture of homophobia existed long before the popularization of homophobic dancehall songs. Not to mention that comparing Bob Marley to certain dancehall artists is like complaining that Slayer isn't as melodic as the Beatles. And the fact that dancehall isn't the only style of reggae to have vocally homophobic artists.

And, yes, I would say that the majority of Jamaicans are soooooooo proud. That's the kind of the (heartbreaking) point, isn't it? But it's easy to look down your nose at "them" while doing nothing to better educate yourself about their culture and perhaps understand why it is the way it is.

I don't have strong ties to Jamaica personally, but if I were going to shoot off my mouth like that, I'd try not to sound so ignorant.
 
My apologies. I'm sorry about generalizing Jamaican music as all reggae; I'm aware that there are other styles of dancehall, but I don't really know much about them. And I'm also aware that other branches of dancehall have their share of homophobic lyrics, too. I was just kinda angry, I guess. I'll try to better my knowledge of Jamaican culture in the future.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?