Monday, November 22, 2004

 

The Shepard and the Flock

So, apparently 20/20 is reopening the Matthew Shepard case, looking at the possibility that it may not have been a hate crime, and that Shepard may have known his killers.

Now, when I first heard of this, I didn't take a position. I heard Sully's "Called it" position, and Pam's "Smear campaign!" position, but I really didn't know. Of course Matthew Shepard opened up the national discourse of hate against homosexuals, but if his death wasn't itself a hate crime, then so what? You can't say something doesn't exist once it's in the room.

Then I saw an ad last night. And the announcer was crowing, "We have interviews with his killers!" And now, I am quite doubtful.

Let's look at it this way: You are the iconic perpetrator of a hate crime in the '90s. Whenever anyone thinks of violent hatred towards homosexuals, you are the first face that pops up. Hell, your lawyer even testified that you killed your victim because he dared to be gay and forthright about it. Aren't you gonna want to say anything- anything at all- that makes you look like something less than the embodiment of hatred towards the Other?

I'll try and watch it. If they have a whole bunch of supporting evidence, I might buy it. But if it's just the anchors talking to Russell Henderson and Aaron McKinney for an hour, then I don't think so.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?