Wednesday, December 08, 2004

 

Eaten by the Gobblers

Once upon a time, I read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I liked it, even if the message of the book was driven in a bit hard (especially through a series of interviews in which Pullman pretty much said, "Suck on it, C.S. Lewis!"). It was a nice fantasy book, with a very interesting theme: what kind of God people will pray to in the absence of order, no matter how horrid that God is (a theme I've taken an interest in myself).

So, of course, it makes me very, very angry that the film adaptation of His Dark Materials will welsh on the God stuff entirely. Why? Well, sayeth the director, Chris Weitz,

"You have to recognise that it is a challenge in the climate of Bush's America[.]"

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading Paradise Lost in the corner and sobbing into the pages.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?