Thursday, March 17, 2005

 

The Whole Sordid Mess

I'm guessing you'd like to know why my postings for the past few days have been somewhat lacking. Well, here goes.

At about 5 PM on Tuesday, after spending the afternoon finishing a paper on Romeo & Juliet, I decide to surf the Web a little... only to find that my computer won't connect. I try finding alternate IP addresses. I read TCP/IP For Dummies until my brain cells cry out in agony. I do everything to the cable modem short of strapping it to a slab and raising it into a lightning storm. But it still won't connect.

I decide to leave the matter for when Father Cognito gets home, and go downstairs to watch some cable... which is also out. At this point, Mother Cognito calls Comcast, where someone tells her that this usually happens after a big thaw, and that they're trying to restore service to all of Wellesley (make a note of that).

The next day, at around 8 AM, the Internet returns to my high school. And yet, when I get home at 3 PM, I find out that it is still out at home. So, I call Comcast, and fiddle with the cable modem some more for their benefit. They say that there are no (repeat, no- take another note) local outages, and that the problem may be on my end. That is, specifically, our house. They arrange to send a repairman over on Thursday, between 3 and 5 PM.

Afterwards, Mother Cognito speaks to our next door neighbor, who is suffering from a similar conundrum, and is having a repairman come over, also.

Between 5 and 7 that afternoon.

So, they make plans to have Mother Cognito accost the repairman when he comes over. When they do, they find out that the cable box at the foot of the street (take that, "no local outages" guy!) is out, and that a repair crew should be over soon, but they can only work until 7.

The crew never shows up.

Hopefully, it'll all be resolved today. But if not, then fuck Comcast, y'all.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?