Sunday, May 01, 2005

 

You've Got Your Towel With You?

SPOILERS AWAIT. Turn back now.

Yeah, so. I went to see Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy this afternoon. Y'know, you all may think you are geeks. You may think, "Hey, I wore a '42' T-shirt to the movie! I rule!" Oh, but you are insignificant before my geekiness. You wanna know what I did?

I brought a towel.

That's right. I went into the linen closet, pulled out a worn pink towel, and took it with me to the 1:00 showing of Hitchhiker's Guide at the Framingham 16. I figured, it could be worse. I could dress up in full regalia for Episode 3.

Anyway. The movie. Yeah, it doesn't follow the book exactly. What do you expect? It's an adaptation. Ergo, there must be romance, action, and a plot that follows Freytag's Triangle.

The actors were all great. Martin Freeman was perfectly confused, Mos Def, perfectly odd, Sam Rockwell, perfectly manic, and Zooey Deschanel, perfectly bringing personality to what Douglas Adams admitted to writing as a plot device and standard female. Alan Rickman righteously kicked ass as Marvin. There were a few bugs, though; the romance between Arthur and Trillian was strange but welcome, yet the flirtation between Zaphod and the Vice President at the end made key parts of my brain shut down.

Oh, and not once- not once- did they mention the significance of a towel to a hitchhiker. Just a bunch of towel-fu and Ford asking Arthur if he's got his. Come on, Jennings. I did not just drag an in-joke all the way to the theatre just so I could see it not get explained.

All in all, a pleasant film, and nowhere near the doom-and-gloom predicted by the myriad online reviews. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go see if iTunes carries "So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish."

Comments:
It does! and thus, iTunes is my favorite thing ever. Actually, that song is. "If I had just one more wish / I would like a tasty fish." Sigh.
 
I was the only one with a towel, actually. And I don't think anyone really noticed.

This is why I should act geeky on opening night, and not the Sunday after. More people are likely to get it.
 
Ah. Right. Judiciously changed to "Jennings".
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?