Sunday, July 24, 2005

 

About Last Night...

I'm sorry about the post. It was a bit extreme, but really, I was just so horrified. I still have faith in the American people. I still have faith in the American dream. I still have faith in the basic goodness of others.

But my government has utterly and indeniably failed me. They are working to cover up evidence of what is basically child rape at Abu Ghraib. They could have easily come forward and said, "Some horrible things have happened, but we promise swift retribution." But they're not.

I'm not angry at Americans, or America. I'm angry at those who claim to represent America. Who claim to be our shining beacon unto the world, the guardian, the great protector. Their armor is rusted, their sword is stained in blood, and they have no legs to stand on.

I want my government to be honest, clear, and willing to admit mistakes. But now I know that will probably never happen.

Comments:
I, for one, vote for "Who Are We" over "About Last Night..."

I sympathize with the feeling of betrayal expressed; the "this hurts!" instead of the usual "I'm so pissed off!"

It shows you really care. No need to be "sorry about the post."
 
Thanks. I just wanted to make clear that I still have faith in the American people (well, most of them; Pam's comments on the Free Republic response to the tapes are driving me towards Angel-of-Deathdom) and America as a concept. It's just, in practice, it's been driven into the ground.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?