Monday, August 15, 2005

 

The Anniversary Party

I'm back. Well, I've been back for about nine hours, but I got up at 5 AM to get here, so I had to get some well-deserved rest.

The party went well, even if I was overdressed. We all went dressed "business casual", as the invitation said: chinos, polo shirt, loafers, formal belt. Then other guests started showing up in cut-offs. Go figure.

I ended up tending bar. I managed to efficiently pour wine, root beer, and water, as well as mix up some gin and tonics (none of which killed a cow at a hundred paces, fortunately). The food was good, and I held my own in conversation with the adults (including convincing my poor cable-deprived aunt of the glory of Jon Stewart).

The next day, Brother Cognito took off to visit a friend at a nearby summer camp, while I returned with my parents to hang with the other relatives some more. At one point, one of my cousins, obviously lacking in lessons about good touches and bad touches, tried to climb on my head, despite the fact that I kept saying no. I think I'll be asking for a vasectomy for my birthday (not that it matters, of course).

So, it was a good little break. And now, back to normal. Or at least what passes for normal.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?