Sunday, January 01, 2006

 

Life's a Bitch- I Mean, Beach

Well, we got back from Roatan last night. How was it? Well... it wasn't awful.

We got at 3 in the morning, left Boston at 6 AM, and arrived at Roatan at 4:30 EST. When we got to the house, led by a very nice married couple, we noticed the owner had taken a few... creative liberties with the house's description. The flowing miniature waterfall? Didn't flow. The satellite TV and stereo? Broken down (Brother Cognito ended up repairing the stereo on his own, but nothing could be done about the TV). Most, importantly, the 3 bedrooms/3.5 bathrooms? One of each was taken up by the caretaker. I ended up sleeping on the couch in the living room for three days.

After that start... well, I tried to act like a Pollyanna, and hell, we did do some good things. But it felt like every time a good thing happened (an all-you-can-eat barbeque Christmas dinner at the Hole in the Wall, a day at a spa, a relaxing afternoon on the beach), something shitty happened to balance out the karmic ratio (the car breaks down, I get horribly sick, my room becomes infested with moths and mosquitos to the point that I retreat to a couch on my parents' bedroom for the night).

I wanted to love Roatan. I'm sure that, had situations been different, it could have been another Vieques. But I just didn't. Now, my parents are considered skipping beach vacations all together with me, and just going places with suitable development.

I'm sorry, Roatan. Just know that it was all my fault.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?