Monday, February 27, 2006

 

Any Port In A Storm

Yeah, I know I haven't been posting a lot lately. I've just been dealing with a lot of crap over the past few weeks. I think it's starting to clear up, though.

So... the ports deal with the UAE. Quite honestly, I'm kind of ambivalent about the UAE part of the story. I mean, I'm pissed that the US isn't patrolling its own ports, especially since people keep talking about how easily ports could be exploited for terrorist purposes. Still, from what I read, it doesn't sound like the UAE's going to be doing much security-wise, and the Coast Guard will be handling most of the security stuff. There, I think things are okay.

That doesn't mean I'm not pissed off about this whole thing, of course. First, Bush swears that he's going to veto anyone who blocks this deal once news of it comes forward. Then Rummy, who, y'know, should know about keeping the country safe, tells everyone he wasn't told. Then Bush, the guy who's been jockeying for this to the extent of threatening to use the first veto of his career to make sure it goes through, says that he didn't know everything about the deal. Now, it's come out that the UAE wouldn't be taking over six US ports, but twenty-one.

The really sad part is, when you look at this deal, which shows a clear failure to communicate in the White House and a lack of purpose regarding keeping America safe, it feels perfectly natural to say, "Just another day in Washington."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?