Thursday, March 06, 2008

 

Muslims Are Aliens. This Is Truth.



Can we stop this garbage? Please? I am getting absolutely and utterly tired of "Muslim" being thrown around as if it's of equal gravity and danger to "did drugs" or "killed a guy." I'm tired of what is, at its very root, an ugly and bigoted rumor pushed around by the Swift Boat crowd getting play in the national press over, and over, and over again. I'm tired of journalists thinking this is one of the most important things to ask about Obama.

But even more than that, I'm tired of Muslims being treated like this "other" by the media, day in, day out. I'm tired of America's first Muslim politician being asked to prove he's not with the terrorists with no consequences for the fucktard who asks him. I'm tired of the fact that the most likely reason for a Muslim character to show up on an American TV show is to either a) be a terrorist, or b) show up once so that a token message can be made about not everyone's a terrorist, only to fade into the background. I'm a little bit sad that there are apparently only two recurring Muslim characters on TV these days: Sayid from Lost and that kid from Aliens in America, and the former's become an assassin and the latter's most likely headed for cancellation.

I'm just ranting, of course. But I have a feeling that things might maybe be just a little bit better if the media actually looked at Muslims as real people, rather than potential threats or walking PSAs.

EDITED: Cancellation =/= assassination. Kids, don't drink and blog.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?