Tuesday, January 02, 2007

 

It's Not Over Yet

As much as I would have loved to slamdance on the anti-gay marriage amendment's grave, it looks like that's not happening yet. It's not automatically approved, either, but it's still up for reconsideration for the 2008 ballot.

I'm glad we have Deval Patrick on our side, but the amendment's proponents have on their side a faction of the populace that is being driven to vote by their pundits, their think tanks, and, most importantly of all, their churches. The populace may support gay marriage, but just what segments of that populace will come out to vote on the measure in 2008? I'd like to think about Arizona, but when I do, I think about the eighteen other states, in 2004 and 2006, that decided to enshrine bigotry in their constitutions.

I'm sure we'll get them next time.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?