Friday, July 20, 2007

 

Unpersons

Just in case you thought the US government couldn't get any more frightening, this came along.

In case you're having trouble parsing the text, the order says that anyone who's found "ndermining efforts to promote economic reconstruction and political reform in Iraq or to provide humanitarian assistance to the Iraqi people" can have all their assets seized by the US government, and is theretofore blocked from accruing any more capital. While the order is supposedly aimed around those targeted in Section 1.i.A and such, I'd like you to think about the inclusion of Section 1.i.B. And then I'd like you to think about how the President's very own officials have said that liberals want the troops dead.

Oh. And anyone who wants to help out a friend who's been targeted by the government, for reasons either fair or unfair? Their donation gets seized. Oh, and the government can do all this without warning.

It's probably just paranoia, I know. But every time I look at these orders, I wonder just who the hell the President is really targeting. This isn't a fine. This isn't prison. Hell, this isn't even Guantanamo. This is being told, by the United States government, that for all intents and purposes, you no longer exist.

Give me back my country, damnit.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?